Lifestyle & History
The North Bank is a new and exciting place for work and leisure. Rich in history, offering enviable local lifestyle amenities yet connected to London’s commercial centres.
The area was originally called “Blackfriars” after the black cappa worn by the Dominican Friars who in 1276 moved their priory from Holborn to an area between the Thames and Ludgate Hill.
Immediately adjacent to VIEW58 is Temple, London’s main legal district. Temple was first recorded in the 12th century as Novum Templum, meaning “New Temple” when the Knights Templar set up a sanctuary there.
The area eventually became known simply as Temple, eventually increased in size when the River Thames was embanked in 1865 under the direction of Joseph Bazalgette in order to reduce congestion on the Strand and Fleet Street.
In December 1878 Victoria Embankment became the first street in Britain to be permanently lit by electricity.
Although much of this area was destroyed in the war, one of the surviving landmarks is the Blackfriars public house. The historic Art Noveau Grade II pub was built in 1905 on the site of the original Dominican friary and was designed by architect H. Huller-Clark and artist Henry Poole, both committed to the free thinking Arts and Crafts Movement.